Level Up: a second year academic and career program (for 2nd year students only)
Jan 24, 2023
10:30AM to 12:00PM
Date(s) - 24/01/2023
10:30 am - 12:00 pm
Student Success Centre Presents! (link to registration)
Location: GH 110
Are you in your second year? We invite you to join our 8-week program to build confidence in your academics, clarity around your career, and help you thrive at Mac.
This free program will begin on Tuesday, January 24 until Tuesday March 21 (no session during Reading Week). Please register in advance.
At end of the 8 week program, students will have increased their skills and confidence to succeed academically, developed more clarity about their career options and plans, and identified some techniques to weather the ups and downs of their academic journey.
After the program, the facilitators of the program are happy to support you through your academic and career journey through individual academic coaching, career counselling, and LinkedIn recommendations as requested.
Weekly in-person meetings will be co-facilitated by Jenna Storey (Academic Skills Coordinator) and Kerri Latham (Career Counsellor) on Tuesdays from 10:30am – 12:00pm (90-minutes). Full Schedule of 8 week program is below.
- Overview of Program
- Academic Learning Skills Inventory
- Steps to navigate your career
- The elements of resiliency
- Goal Setting – important first step for academic success
- Planned Happenstance – the reality of career planning in today’s world
- Resiliency Factor 1: Mindfulness
- Procrastination – identifying why we put off tasks and what to do about it
- Understanding your strengths – your superpowers for career satisfaction
- Resiliency Factor 2: Gratitude
- Time Management – finding the time to balance life and academics
- Understanding your Strengths – part 2
- Resiliency Factor 3: Optimism
- Notetaking – getting the most from your classes
- Career Values – your compass to help you make decisions and direct your path
- Resiliency Factor 4: Compassion
- Study Skills – being an active learner and studier
- Zoning in on your interests – your clues to keep you energized and engaged
- Resiliency Factor 5: Grit
- Test Taking – mastering different types of tests
- Pulling it all together and exploring career options.
- Resiliency – what it looks like for you.
- Weave your academic, career and resiliency skills to develop a success plan for the year.
- End of program celebration .
Commitment is for 90 minutes each week. Tuesday, January 24 until Tuesday March 21 (no session during Reading Week).